June 26, 2008

Wigwam Modifications

After the big berry feed last week (still not completely gone!), I noticed something was up with the wigwam. Problem: whenever I tilted up the giant black cover to look in, the condensation on it would run down until it dripped all over the floor in a big puddle. Not good. My bin was becoming a miniature rain forest.

I didn't have this problem with my other bins. The old bins had screened tops and allowed plenty of air circulation (check the pics).

Time for action. My husband likes the worms a lot more when they present him with an opportunity to show his dexterity with power tools. He was more than happy to cut a big circle in the wigwam cover with a jigsaw. I caulked in some screen over the hole, and the wigwam is fixed.

Enjoy the fresh air, wormies!

No comments: