June 15, 2008

Just How Fertile Are Worm Castings?

I'll tell you.

This is a snapshot of my bin just three days after putting in about six pounds of left-over tomato slices.

You got it- all the tomato seeds sprouted.

Inside the container.

In pitch darkness.

Those puffy dark brown worm castings must be the greatest plant food ever to have sprouted seeds in just three days in the dark, which makes me pretty darn happy.

After work today, we biked on the Youghiogheny River Trail, which is part of The Great Allegheny Passage- a 150 mile network of biking/hiking trails (we only saw 10 today). We turned around at slightly freaky Dravo Cemetery, which the Elizabeth Township Historical Society is supposed to be up-keeping (so says a sign), but I beg to differ. It was WAY overgrown and weedy.

Some headstones have the engraving worn off, but one had the eeriest epitaph: "As you are now so once was I, as I am now you soon shall be, prepare for death and follow me."

Spooky!

No comments: