July 20, 2008

A Break from Worms

WARNING! If you are looking for squirmy news, I'm taking a blog break from worms today to talk YOGA!

I participated in a training workshop yesterday at Amazing Yoga in Shadyside. I have only taken a few classes at AY so far- but WOW! They lead super- athletic yoga in a challenging, fast paced flow with the room temp jacked up to eighty five to ninety degrees - which their site's FAQs boast can burn up to 800 calories per class. (They also wrote their own book!)

I enjoyed myself so much those few times that I signed up for the workshop. I wanted to see what the learning vibe was like, and confirm that I truly meshed with this yoga style.

So I spent three hours on my only day off this week wildly perspiring in a cozy studio above Ellsworth Avenue, and I'm happy to report that I can't even explain how good I felt when I left. I gained knowledge of postures, poses, and assisting no one can take away, and I sweat out the stress, anxiety, and frustration I've been holding in from working six days a week.

I'd like to complete the AY teacher training program that begins this fall, because I know first hand that yoga can help, heal, calm, relax, strengthen, and motivate. The workshop was the first (half) step towards my goal. Thankfully, the instructor was the perfect blend of yoga and athlete, and I felt very comfortable with her thoughtful teaching and demonstration techniques.

So now I'm patiently counting down the days until teacher training begins...

Namasté!

No comments: