July 8, 2012

Fruits and Vegetables of My Labor

Back in June, I started an informal experiment with my tomatoes and red peppers: I gave one row of each a dose of worm compost to see if it would have any effect vs. the row that didn't get any.

I wanted to know if additional applications provided even more growth and yield. I had already mixed in some before planting, so it was the extra doses I was interested in here.

The red peppers on the left got the vermicompost, check it out:
Red peppers
They are way bigger and even a darker green! I'm not sure what this will mean for yield, since they just started getting flowers- but I'll keep you posted.  I plan to apply this month's dose this week, so stay tuned!

Also, the tomato plants on the left hand side are slightly taller and currently have larger fruit. I'll see how that works out as they develop, and provide more pics as it becomes more evident.  For now, enjoy these baby-matoes from the left side:
tomatoes
Cucumbers are starting to grow:
cucumbers

And someone had better share a blackberry dessert recipe soon!
blackberriesblackberries

 The worms just got a mega-feeding courtesy of the Fourth of July and fruity drink scraps- they need fuel so I can continue my success this growing season!

2 comments:

Diligent Gardener said...

Everything is looking good! I do like the fruit cage :)

Jill said...

Thanks! I'm hoping it holds up all season- to critters and weather!