February 22, 2009

An Apple a Day

The latest installment in the apple experiment finds one apple with a worm trying to squirm into the stem and another with a mushy crack down the side with a few worms crawling around.
And that's it! The remaining apples have been in the bin for OVER A MONTH, and show zero signs of decomposing and are impenetrable by worms. They look like the day I put them in!

However, one interesting change in the bin is the absence of escapees over the past few weeks. I'm not sure if the suspense and anticipation of the apples rotting make the worms stay in the bin with baited breath (LOL! Worm joke!), but the number of ones flying the coop has dropped dramatically to almost none. (Sorry the first pic is so fuzzy- I was so overcome with excitement I guess I couldn't hold the camera steady?)

In yoga news, only one week of teacher training left before I'm a certified yoga instructor! One of the things we discussed this weekend is being able to give inspirational quotes or "gems" to your students during class.

It's only appropriate that I come up with a worm-related gem to share with my beginner yoga students: "When you just start yoga, you'll feel like a worm in a bin with an apple that just won't go mushy. You visualize the prize- a better, healthier you; you can smell success- by seeing others around you who have been practicing for a longer time. You only have to be patient until you can enjoy your own mushy apple reward- an energetic, life-changing practice."

Worms + yoga = inner peace? I'll let you know.

4 comments:

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

I like worms. I like yoga, now if I could just find that inner peace.... LOL

Anonymous said...

So the great apple experiment is teaching you...patience, perseverance, um, what else? It a little life lesson in microcosm. Beautiful!

Congrats on your yoga. One of my goals this year is to give yoga a try.

Jill.BF said...

You are going to love it! May I recommend starting with a restorative yoga class? I started with that type of class, and my first instructor used all kinds of props and really made it interesting (and stress-busting!) for us beginners.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip. I have to see what they offer. I'm thinking about seeing if the teacher will do private lessons so I don't feel like too much of an idiot right at first. I have a couple of friends who are interested newbies too. Might get involved that way!